Windows 11 KB5015882 Update Fixes Bugs causing File Explorer to Freeze
Microsoft has released the optional KB5015882 Preview cumulative update for Windows 11 with 20 fixes or improvements, including new Focus Assist and OS upgrade features.
This Windows 11 cumulative update is part of Microsoft’s July 2022 monthly “C” update, allowing users to test the upcoming updates and fixes in the August 2022 Patch Tuesday.
Unlike cumulative updates released on Patch Tuesday, preview updates do not contain security updates and only include bug fixes and performance improvements.
Windows users can install this update by going into Settings, clicking on Windows Update, and selecting ‘Check for Updates.’ As this is an optional update, you will be prompted to click on the download and install button before Windows 11 will install the update.
After installing the KB5015882 update, Windows 11’s version number will change to build 22000.832.
Windows 11 users can also download and manually install the KB5015882 update from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
What’s new in Windows 11 KB5015882
The Windows 11 KB5015882 cumulative update preview includes 20 improvements or fixes, with the highlighted ones listed below:
- New! Gives you the option to receive urgent notifications when focus assist is on. Focus assist is like a do not disturb mode that hides notifications.
- New! Gives you the option to update to a newer Windows 11 version at the very first startup of Windows if your device is eligible.
- Addresses an issue that causes File Explorer to stop working when you use the play and pause keyboard buttons on certain devices.
- Addresses an issue that causes File Explorer to stop working when you use the Start menu’s context menu (Win+X) and an external monitor is connected to your device.
- Addresses an issue that displays a blank window that you cannot close when you hover over the search icon on the taskbar.
- Addresses an issue that prevents certain troubleshooting tools from opening.
The new feature to update to the latest version of Windows 11 on the first run of the operating system is helpful, as it will allow users to automatically install the latest security updates before they gain access to the OS. This will add additional security protection when setting up a new device.
Microsoft notes that only sites using the ‘
windows.focus()‘ method are affected by this bug.
“After installing this update, IE mode tabs in Microsoft Edge might stop responding when a site displays a modal dialog box,” explains the KB5015882 release notes.
“A modal dialog box is a form or dialog box that requires the user to respond before continuing or interacting with other portions of the webpage or app.”
Microsoft notes that only sites using the windows.focus() method are affected by this bug.
You can find a complete list of improves and fixes and detailed explanations of the known issues in the KB5015882 support bulletin.