Adobe Fixes Reader Zero-day Vulnerability Exploited In The Wild
Adobe has released a massive Patch Tuesday security update release that fixes vulnerabilities in twelve different applications, including one actively exploited vulnerability Adobe Reader.
The updated applications include Adobe Experience Manager, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InCopy, Adobe Genuine Service, Adobe Acrobat and Reader, Magento, Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Application, Adobe Media Encoder, dobe After Effects, Adobe Medium, and Adobe Animate.
Of particular concern, Adobe warns that one of the Adobe Acrobat and Reader vulnerabilities tracked as CVE-2021-28550 has been exploited in the wild in limited attacks against Adobe Reader on Windows devices.
CVE-2021-28550 is a remote code execution vulnerability that could allow attackers to execute almost any command in Windows, including installing malware and the possibility of taking over the computer.
The complete list of Adobe Products that received security updates are listed below:
- Adobe Experience Manager | APSB21-15: 1 x Critical code execution in browser and 1 Important DoS vulnerabilities were fixed. There were also numerous updates to dependencies that have known vulnerabilities.
- Adobe InDesign | APSB21-22: 3 Critical code execution vulnerabilities fixed.
- Adobe Illustrator | APSB21-24: 5 Critical code execution vulnerabilities fixed.
- Adobe InCopy | APSB21-25: 1 Critical code execution vulnerability fixed.
- Adobe Genuine Service | APSB21-27: 1 Important vulnerability fixed.
- Adobe Acrobat | APSB21-29: 10 Critical and 4 Important vulnerabilities fixed.
- Magento | APSB21-30: 1 Important and 6 Moderate vulnerabilities fixed.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Application | APSB21-31: 1 Critical privilege escalation bug fixed.
- Adobe Media Encoder | APSB21-32: 1 Important vulnerability fixed.
- Adobe After Effects | APSB21-33: This bulletin is not available yet.
- Adobe Medium | APSB21-34: 1 Critical code execution vulnerability fixed.
- Adobe Animate | APSB21-35: 2 Critical code execution bugs and 5 important vulnerabilities fixed.
In total, there were 43 vulnerabilities fixed, not including dependencies in Adobe Experience Manager.
Out of all the Adobe security updates released today, Adobe Acrobat & Reader had the most fixes, with 14 vulnerabilities.
Install updates immediately
Adobe advises customers using vulnerable products to update to the latest versions as soon as possible to fix bugs that could lead to successful exploitation of unpatched installations.
This guidance is critical today, considering that the Adobe Acrobat & Reader CVE-2021-28550 vulnerability is known to be used in active attacks.
Also Read: The DNC Singapore: Looking At 2 Sides Better
In most cases, users can update their software by using the auto-update feature of the product using the following steps:
- By going to Help > Check for Updates.
- The full update installers can be downloaded from Adobe’s Download Center.
- Let the products update automatically, without requiring user intervention, when updates are detected.
If the new update is not available via autoupdate, you can check the security bulletins linked to above for the latest download links.
Privacy Ninja provides GUARANTEED quality and results for the following services:
DPO-As-A-Service (Outsourced DPO Subscription)
PDPA Compliance Training
PDPA Compliance Audit
Digital Transformation Consultancy
Data Protection Trustmarks Certification Readiness Consultancy
PDPA Data Protection Software
Vulnerability Assessment & Penetration Testing (VAPT)
Smart Contract Audit